What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is the result of “wear and tear” to our joints over time and is a major cause of chronic pain and disability in Australia. It occurs most often in your weight bearing joints (knees, hips, and lower back), however the finger joints are also susceptible to developing this condition due to our reliance on using our hands in everyday life.
Arthritis can occur at any age but tends to be more common in people aged over 40 and those who have previously had joint injuries.
There is not cure, however physiotherapy is proven to be an effective way of managing Arthritis, by working to control the symptoms, improve your quality of life and avoid joint replacement surgeries.
Signs & Symptoms
- joint pain and tenderness
- swelling, redness or heat in the joint
- stiffness, particularly in the mornings
- clicking or grinding noises are common
- difficulty with moving the joint
- constant pain and joint deformity as severity worsens
What causes it?
As Arthritis affects many joints over the body it is difficult to identify one specific cause of the condition, however research shows some things which may put you at more risk of developing Arthritis. These include:
- previous injury to the joint
- jobs involving manual labour
- being overweight
- a family history of arthritis
How can we help?
- Soft Tissue Massage to relieve pain and muscle tension.
- Acupuncture / Dry Needling to decrease pain and release painful trigger points. This can be combined with Electrotherapy for enhance pain relief if needed.
- Joint Mobilisations / Manipulations (Adjustments) to improve joint movement.
- Supports & Braces to decrease pain with aggravating activities.
- Strengthening exercises to help support the painful joint.
- Education & Advice about how to relieve pain and avoid aggravating the arthritic joint.
Are your sore joints becoming more painful and starting to let you down? Are you worried you will soon have to give up the things you enjoy most in life? Research shows that physiotherapy is proven to be an effective way of managing Arthritis.
See an expert at Spine & Sports Physiotherapy now and take back control of your life!!!