Is pain or injury getting in the way of the simple things in life you enjoy most? Things like playing with your grandchildren, walking the dog or enjoying a round of golf?
Are you sick of being fobbed off by the GPs only to be given painkillers and told “it’s old age”?
Do you want someone to REALLY LISTEN to your specific problem and tell you how you can fix it?
If this sounds like you, and you’re concerned about your future health or a specific problem, a physiotherapist is an expert in injury diagnosis, hands-on treatment and exercise prescription.
They can help you and provide you with a SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM.
Common problems experienced by older Australians
- Joint pain and Arthritis (“wear and tear” of the joint cartilage)
- Osteoporosis (thinning of the bones)
- Heart Disease, Strokes and Diabetes
- Falls and broken bones
- Frustration and concern about a loss of mobility or dependence on others
Benefits of physiotherapy and exercise in older Australians
- Less pain. A reduction in the effects of joint pain and arthritis.
- More joint movement and greater flexibility.
- Improved Fitness. This will help with heart and lung function, reducing the risk of heart disease, strokes and diabetes.
- Weight Loss. Exercise conducted under the supervision of a professional physiotherapist is an excellent way to keep your weight under control.
- A good night’s sleep. Exercise has been shown to improve sleep patterns.
- Bone Health. Exercise prevents osteoporosis and reduces the risk of fractures (broken bones).
- Falls Prevention. Improved strength and balance to decrease your risk of falling.
- Improved mental health. Exercise can help with anxiety and/or depression.
- Maintain your independence and continue to enjoy life well into your retirement years.
You may be apprehensive about taking the first step, however if you’ve never exercised before and are concerned about what to do, your physiotherapist can prescribe a simple exercise program for you to do in the comfort of your own home.
There’s no need to go into a large gym with lots of people or complicated equipment, and all the exercises can be printed off with clear instructions for your convenience.